Engaging Students in
We are committed to ensuring that our students have opportunities to engage in their neighborhoods, churches, and beyond in a way that fosters their understanding of the transforming power and lessons that come from God through serving others. The “BCS Service Experience” has been established as part of the minimum graduation requirements for all students. The adopted model allows students tremendous freedom to participate in service they find personally meaningful. It calls on them to be reflective of what they’ve learned and share that learning with others, all under the guidance and encouragement of a BCS service mentor. We are honored and gratified to support our students in using their divinely given gifts to show Christ’s love through these intentional acts of service.
Since the inception of the Service Experience in 2011, examples of students’ service include:
- Working with 300+ kids at First Presbyterian of Bellevue’s summer vacation bible camp.
- Supporting hardworking teachers at Educational Services Exchange in Beijing teaching English to 500+ Chinese students.
- Supporting a newly-widowed neighbor with childcare, dog-walking, and household chores.
- Traveling to El Salvador to encourage children and families in education, leadership, and their faith.
- Umpiring Little League games for the city of Bellevue and encouraging youth in their baseball skills.